Parent and Juniors! The DORBA Miles & Smiles challenge begins Saturday, April 1.
Complete Rules and FAQ are below, but here is the summary:
Juniors register (for free), ride qualifying trails (during April), post documentation of their mileage (e.g. a Garmin screenshot), and accumulate miles (for awards). Bam!
What’s different this year?
1. We have added some “Non-DORBA” trails; see below for the complete qualifying trail list.
2. This will now be a challenge ride, not a competitive event. Awards will be based on total mileage for the month.
𝗠𝗜𝗟𝗘𝗦 & 𝗦𝗠𝗜𝗟𝗘𝗦 𝗥𝗨𝗟𝗘𝗦 𝗮𝗻𝗱 𝗥𝗘𝗚𝗜𝗦𝗧𝗥𝗔𝗧𝗜𝗢N
This Junior Challenge is designed to get kids 4 to 14 years of age riding DORBA trails during the month of April - and maybe inspire them to sign up for other events, like the DFW Summer Series and the DORBA Fall Series races! Registration starts today. The idea of the challenge is simple: Juniors will ride as many miles as they can on any open qualifying trails during April. A specific number of different trails is not required.
All Juniors who enter the Miles & Smiles Challenge will receive a certificate of participation, but riders who reach specific benchmarks during April will receive an award medal based on their achievement:
Bronze: 30 miles
Silver: 60 miles
Gold: 100 miles
Diamond: 200 miles
1. The challenge will run from Saturday, April 1, to Monday, May 1, 2023. It is for kids 4 to 14 years of age, as of the challenge start.
2. The challenge is free but parents must register their Junior by clicking on the "Register Now" button above.
3. Juniors may sign up and join in the fun at any time during April, before the challenge ends.
4. The following trails qualify for the challenge:
Frisco NW Community Park Trail
Goat Island Preserve
Harry Moss Park
L.B. Houston Nature Trails
Oak Cliff Nature Preserve
Rowlett Creek Preserve
Sister Grove Park
Cedar Hill State Park
Isle du Bois
Windmill Hill Preserve
Bonham State Park
Cleburne State Park
Dinosaur Valley State Park
Eisenhower State Park
Trinity River Connector
Tyler State Park
Parks of Aledo
Western Heritage Park Trail
5. Juniors MUST use a GPS, smart phone app, or other odometer device/system to log their miles. MILES MUST BE DOCUMENTED. Estimates or undocumented claims will not be accepted.
Parents or Juniors must post documentation of their ride mileage on the Juniors Facebook page for credit. This must include the name of the trail, a photo of the Junior at the trailhead, and a screen shot/photo of the GPS/app/odometer device data. Other reasonably specific documentation of the ride mileage, date, and location *MAY* be accepted, at my discretion.
6. I will create a “Results Board” on the DORBA Juniors Facebook Page and tally the Juniors’ miles regularly.
7. All mileage claims must be submitted to me by Midnight on Monday, May 1 — final mileages and results posted the next day.
8. Awards will be mailed the week after the challenge ends.
9. The Miles & Smiles challenge will be run on the honor system. Please submit only mileage your Junior has actually ridden.
“How much does entry into the Miles & Smiles cost?"
It’s FREE, thanks to DORBA and our generous sponsors.
"Do we have to be DORBA members to participate?"
No – but I would really, really, REALLY encourage you to join DORBA. It’s because of the hard work of the club board, stewards, and volunteers that we have great trails to ride.
"We are planning to ride a trail in North Korea next weekend. Can those miles count?"
No. It’s great to ride different trails, and we applaud Juniors riding in other places! But the Challenge has to have some sort of “structure” to function, and is designed to celebrate the local trails DORBA Juniors most often get to ride. So we are limiting it to miles on qualifying trails, as stated in the rules.
"My Junior doesn’t have a Garmin. What should we do?"
If you don’t have a Garmin type device, there are multiple smartphone apps you can use to document mileage.
"'No specific number of different trails is required' – so can my Junior ride ALL the miles on ONE trail?"
Yes! This is a MILEAGE challenge, not a trails challenge like the one we have in July. The only requirement is that the miles be ridden by your Junior on open DORBA trails.
"I have a question not covered in the Rules or FAQ. Whom should I ask?"