Home | Trails | Events | Forum | Sponsors | Contact

29er tire question

Anything from clothing to bike parts...

Moderator: BOD

29er tire question

Postby Tactical_Pterodactyl » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:13 pm

Hello, I just picked up a cannondale trail 5 for a great price. The factory tires are 29x2.0 wtb nine lines. Which seem to be a super fast rolling XC tire, but lack a little in the traction department.

So, I'm planning to upgrade, and go tubeless at the same time.

Thinking of running a 2.35 Schwalbe Hans Kampf on the front and a Schwalbe Nobby Nic in the rear. Should I go 2.25 or 2.35 for the rear tire?

Wanting more volume and grip, but still keep it as fast rolling as possible.

I mainly ride Frisco, Erwin, and arbor Hills.

Has anyone rode this tire combo? Do you think it will be a good setup for where I ride?

Any comments or suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks
Tactical_Pterodactyl

Re: 29er tire question

Postby Cope » Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:09 pm

Smaller in the rear. Just an fyi: Schawlbe tires wear fast. Hanz Damf is beefy tire and good for the front. But it is a sticky tire meaning soft compound which is the reason they wear faster. I ran an Nobbie Nic and didn't like it. Seems you got to get the tire pressure just right so it doesn't feel squirrley and I got flats fairly easy (I run it tubeless) and of course it wore fast. Specialize makes a great tire. The ground control wears well. Some people have different experiences with these Schawlbe tires but I've talked to several that experienced the same thing I did. I found an Hanz Damf in a garbage can at Tyler Park trail and put in on my bike. Found no holes, so I guess the rider that threw it away didn't like it. lol. They are expensive.
Vic Dean
Northshore Trail Steward
Cope

Postby Bman » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:21 pm

That's a lot of tire for those trails you mentioned. For hard-packed trails like those usually are, you could get plenty of traction with less knobby tires. Maxxis Ardent Race 2.35 front/2.2 back or even an Ikon 2.35 in back give pretty good traction on these trails and still roll pretty fast.
When someone says, "to make a long story short", it's usually too late.
Bman

Postby MrsLottoTx » Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:51 am

It depends on the grip preference, more than the trail, in my opinion. I LOVED WTB's Velociraptors on LBH during the drought. A more hard-packed flat trail you couldn't find without going to concrete. But the corners were loose dirt on top of the hardpack, which made them sketchy with less grippy tires. I bit it when my rear tire caught the loose stuff and slid out rather than propelled. With the WTB's, I was able to keep pace, even making the turns faster in the loose dirt because of the grip.

When I switched to a 29" bike I sought out a similar tire and found some that are really overkill for any trail locally but they grip in a way I'm happy with.

Take the above with a grain of salt: I run tubes. I also go for a harder tire because I do ride my MTB on concrete and need it to last a while as well, so they're heavier as well. (Limited stable room, have to make do with 1 bike for all conditions.)
Fat girl on a bike. Duh!
Quote which means you're doing it right: Tj Lupinacci: I'm here, loop C and already endo'd and bleeding. This is great!
Quote which means you're doing it wrong: Cash Anglin: Really sucks when volunteers don't volunteer enough.
MrsLottoTx

Postby aleebaabaa12 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:17 am

That's the best thong ever !
reddragon88
aleebaabaa12

Return to Cycling, Gear & Tech