Home | Trails | Events | Forum | Sponsors | Contact

Trail Temporarily Flooded in Areas on Loops 4, 3, & 2..

Moderators: jack sparkes, BOD

Trail Temporarily Flooded in Areas on Loops 4, 3, & 2..

Postby jack sparkes » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:51 pm

Due to some "Water Quailty and Preventative Maintenance" by Garland City Water Department, they have opened a clean out pipe for the newish 30" water main buried on the east side of Centerville and adjacent to top of Loop3. More details with trail map and photos to follow...
Rowlett Creek Preserve
Trail Steward
jack sparkes

Re: Trail Temporarily Flooded in Areas on Loops 4, 3, & 2..

Postby jack sparkes » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:11 pm

As promised attached below is a trail map showing areas under water and then photos of most of the areas underwater. As of this afternoon the water is still shooting out of the clean out pipe about 100 yards south of the parking lot on the east side of Centerville...not sure how long before the water department will close that off; it has been running since last night and so far all day today. There are one on loop4 and two on loop3 and three on loop2 when returning from the south side of RCP. My suggestion to avoid the flooded trail tread areas is to return to the parking lot up the power line after coming under the SH66 auto bridge at 911 location carsonite post numbered RCP46 {see attached trail map of the south side.

A similar situation occurred back in April 2016, when the water department was attempting to repair a leak in the 30" water main at the start of loop14...see the following link for limited details of that event: viewtopic.php?f=45&t=10371

I believe that it will be at least one week if not two before the trail tread DRIES enough for trail users use once the water has been turned off. Apologies for not getting the word out sooner; however, we are on the bottom of the totem pole for "need to know" entities.
Attachments
RCP2_total_traveldirection_arrows_911_loop6_south_flooded.JPG
RCP trail map showing "flooded trail" locations and suggested return route to parking lot...
(220.72 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Cnv1756.jpg
Explanation [i.e. large orange CAUTION sign] and cause [i.e. open 230" water main clean out pipe] of the trail flooding...
Cnv1756.jpg (100.12 KiB) Viewed 114 times
Cnv1757.jpg
As one is returning from the south side loop4 is where one will first encounter the flooding condition...consider returning to the power line to retain to the RPC parking lot and the north side...
Cnv1757.jpg (131.58 KiB) Viewed 114 times
Cnv1758.jpg
Made shift trail blockage where loop3 returns to loop2. If you get this far consider following loop3 up to the 180 degree turn and exit left towards the parking lot...
Cnv1758.jpg (109.92 KiB) Viewed 114 times
Cnv1759.jpg
flooding at the fallen Cottonwood tree on loop2...
Cnv1759.jpg (126.18 KiB) Viewed 114 times
Cnv1760.jpg
flooding at the 7' bridge before one gets to the 12' bridge on end of loop2...
Cnv1760.jpg (120.97 KiB) Viewed 114 times
Cnv1761.jpg
flooding at the 12' bridge near the end of loop2 and very near the parking lot...
Cnv1761.jpg (126.76 KiB) Viewed 114 times
Rowlett Creek Preserve
Trail Steward
jack sparkes

Postby jack sparkes » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:09 pm

The clean out pipe has now been capped off br the Garland Water Department...even with the source of the flood water stopped it will take at least (my guess) to dry out the flooded areas of loops4, 3, & 2....

Keep checking back here for future conditions update. Thanks
Rowlett Creek Preserve
Trail Steward
jack sparkes

Postby Old_School » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:27 pm

Thanks for posting the explanation, Jack. I rode out there on Saturday and it was weird to see how dry the trail was and then suddenly running into water on the trail. You could see the water was spreading slowly. I was wondering what was going on, and now it makes sense.

Also - thank you to whoever did a the most recent trail work and weed-eating. Nice job!

SD
Old_School

Postby jack sparkes » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:50 pm

Old_School wrote:...Also - thank you to whoever did a the most recent trail work...Nice job!..."
SD

SD,

"Whoever" is some of the "usual suspects" of the all volunteer RCP "Friends Of The Trail" (aka FOTT's) crew. Most of our other DORBA trails have one (i.e. Volunteer Army) and we are always looking for additional "worker bees", so let your local sheriff (i.e. Local Trail Steward) know if you are interested in assisting in keeping any and all our trail in pristine condition for the masses...

And tHanks for the Kudo's...it's always nice to be recognized for the effort!!!
Rowlett Creek Preserve
Trail Steward
jack sparkes

Postby jack sparkes » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:18 am

Water over the trail has, several days ago, receded below trail tread level and has been starting to dry out but is still soft. We do need tires on the soft areas and for those that are riding these areas please consider riding through the middle and NOT around...so as not to widen the trail.

Thank you...
Rowlett Creek Preserve
Trail Steward
jack sparkes

Return to Rowlett Creek Preserve