Home | Trails | Events | Forum | Sponsors | Contact

Hi! Returning to MTB after a decade...

If you are a beginner, start here

Moderator: BOD

Hi! Returning to MTB after a decade...

Postby Bohemiancharm » Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:36 am

Hello! Just wanted to say hi....I'm returning to riding after over ten years off the bikes. Back in 1996-1998, I used to ride quite actively, both mtn and road, but mtn was my love - even though I was terrible on hills! (Love love loved switchbacks and downhill, though!) I couldn't afford a bike, so built one with parts from shop clearance bins. I was never a member of DORBA, but enjoyed the trails every chance I could. Then I met someone who didn't ride, got married, stored the bikes, etc. (I still ask myself why I did that.)

Fast forward to 2005...we were living in Omaha, NE. I joined their local bike club but it was all road. Rode casually, then my (now ex-) husband moved us back to Dallas. Bikes back into storage and forgotten.

2009: Exploded my left ACL. Don't ask how. It's embarrassing. Has never worked right since.

2016: New husband (who is a former skater-punk, so he understands the thrill of the ride). Promised my 7-year old stepson that if he can learn to ride his bike without training wheels, I would ride with him around the Lake Lewisville Shoreline Trail. It's walking distance from our house.

The child is starting to balance. So I have a promise to keep.

After some online research into repair shops, I took my old Frankenbike mtn bike to Latini's yesterday. I figured I'd get laughed out of there because of it being a home-made 20-year-old steel-framed monstrosity. The young man had nothing but kind words and appeared very impressed it was in such good condition. It'll be ready next weekend. With no gear that fits a chubby ol' lady, yesterday I got new helmet, shoes, clips, gloves, Camelbak, shorts, jerseys, etc., courtesy of Amazon.

Anyway, I finally joined DORBA. After 20 years, I'm back on the bike. I'll be starting out at below beginner level to get the muscle memory back and see what an old body can slowly build back up to.

It's exciting to be back! I'm looking forward to this summer!
Bohemiancharm

Re: Hi! Returning to MTB after a decade...

Postby MrsLottoTx » Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:13 am

<3 Welcome back! Enjoy the ride!
Fat girl on a bike. Duh!
Quote which means you're doing it right: Tj Lupinacci: I'm here, loop C and already endo'd and bleeding. This is great!
Quote which means you're doing it wrong: Cash Anglin: Really sucks when volunteers don't volunteer enough.
MrsLottoTx

Postby Raceface46 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:15 pm

Welcome back !!!
Raceface46

Postby racerxrick » Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:23 am

great post and welcome...your post caught my eye as I too have returned to MTB after a decade AND my old forum handle was "Frankenbike"! Yes similar bike when I first started riding.

Have fun
racerxrick

Postby mattsch » Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:06 am

It's always feel good when you join your hobbies again. Even after so much extra curriculums.
mattsch

Postby Johnwick88 » Tue May 02, 2017 3:14 am

Glad to be back.

sbobet mobile
Johnwick88

Return to Beginners Corner