Home | Trails | Events | Forum | Sponsors | Contact

How much travel for full suspension bikes in Tx?

If you are a beginner, start here

Moderator: BOD

How much travel for full suspension bikes in Tx?

Postby Mitch » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:19 pm

Hey ya'll.

I've been a hardtail rider for about 6 years now, but I might have the opportunity to go full suspension soon. The rub is that I really only have room for one bike right now, and I want something that I can occasionally take out to paved trails when necessary.

I'm trying to figure out how much travel I'll want on my next bike (I'm really liking the Santa Cruz 5010 right now with 130mm travel :D ), and curious to see what kind of fork/shock travel you guys have that are riding DFW trails with full suspension. I really haven't had any opportunities to try out a FS bike yet, just going on my hardtail experience.
Mitch

Re: How much travel for full suspension bikes in Tx?

Postby matadorCE » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:49 am

All depends on your preference and skill IMO. Some people are perfectly fine (and fast) with 110mm of travel in all trails around here, while others (like me) prefer all the travel they can get. Usually I see people on FS in the 120-150mm range, and I know that doesn't narrow it down a lot but like I said it just kind of depends what you like your bike to feel like.
matadorCE

Postby Mitch » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:26 pm

Right I get all that. Mostly I just want to see what other people who ride the trails around here decided to go with travel-wise, and pose that hypothetical question of "if you only had room for one bike to do all your riding on, how much travel would you get?"

I guess the only potential downside i see to having too much travel would be that it might possibly sap more of your energy when riding on paved trails compared to a shorter travel bike. But anyway, what do you guys have?
Mitch

Postby ThrillCo. » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:31 pm

I've got a Yeti 575 with 150mm of suspension and I've loved it! I got rid of a giant anthem that had 120mm to get my yeti and I've felt way more confident on it going downhill and with jumps and drop offs. Maybe given up a little pedal efficiency but so worth it, if you like to take you wheels off the ground some. Mostly ride Boulder and OCNP (and used to ride Big Cedar R.I.P.)
ThrillCo.

Postby chakotay » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:52 am

My new GT has 110mm. My FSR before that "only" had 90mm; and I rode that bike for 10 years! But I consider myself strictly a XC rider. I love a good climb.

I ride Boulder, Samson, Northshore, Cedar Hill (now that Big Cedar is gone). I've never felt underarmed in the travel department. Again, this is North Texas.

Keep in perspective that half of riders I see riding the trails around here are on hardtails.
chakotay

Postby LC17SMP » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:05 pm

My cannondale has 100mm front and rear and I feel that's plenty. For our trails if I get to 90%+ of travel I add air. I like firm suspension. If I was riding down hill then more the better.
LC17SMP

Postby gabon » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:22 am

Got a GT aswell with 100 mm front and rear and im happy with that. Been riding with my bike for about 5 years now. As LC17SMP said downhill the more the better. Cheers
hans nilsson
gabon

Return to Beginners Corner