Home | Trails | Events | Forum | Sponsors | Contact

Need two Trail Stewards for two new properties

Need two Trail Stewards for two new properties

Postby shadow » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:29 pm

Dallas County Open Spaces has contacted Dorba about building a trail system on two preserves in S. Dallas. The Goat Island one is on the attached map. There is a raised levy road that connects it to River Bend Preserve about 2 miles down stream. The Levy road is 7 miles all by itself.....and there are a couple other "jeeproads" running through the preserves that can be incorporated into the trail system.

We are looking for two members who would like to put their "signature" on these beautiful sections of hardwoods and grasses along the Trinity River. It would probably help if these members lived more to the south side and therefore be closer to oversee these. But it isn't a neccessity.

I will be talking to the Dallas Open Spaces people later this month to gather more info and hopefully finalize this. Would love to tell them we have a couple Trail Stewards ready to start.......LOL!!

If interested PM or E-mail me or call....I can fill you in. I would love to have two TS with a support crew to help at each property......so if your interested in helping but not being the "Steward" let me know.

Shadow
VP of Trails

To judge a trail best or worst due to parts of it would be unfair.
shadow

Re: Need two Trail Stewards for two new properties

Postby LVS » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:06 pm

Friend of mine went down there last fall and wrote up a trip report:
http://dfwurbanwildlife.com/2012/11/05/ ... -number-4/
He has some cool stuff on his website if you look around, namely of note to DORBAland game cams he placed at Arbor Hills to watch the whitetail deer.

Getting back to Goat Island and Riverbend. That's some wild and crazy down there. Throw in a bunch of spooky too. I have ridden both preserves, even during the very driest of weather, like the summer of 2011 some of the jeep roads there are mud pits. The roads are sunken and I guess tap into a shallow water table.

There will need to be a come to jesus moment with Mickey's lease on the south side of Beltline too. $200 buys you a key to the gate there for a year. Other than tracer rounds you can shoot whatever you want. Full auto, belt fed, .50 cal. I did not renew my lease key because people kept shooting at the Beltline Road bridge and all over creation. That "creation" part is where this trail would go! Yikes.

Interesting countryside, unincorporated and full of wild animals. Packed. That's where one of three times I have been hit by a feral hog while riding occurred. Hundred pounder(young 'en).
LVS

Postby Bobby D » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:29 pm

And alligators. Reptile lovers have known about big ones around that stretch for yrs.
out there.
Bobby D

Postby LVS » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:45 pm

That would be the Alligator Slough. 6 footers. That is at the intersection of Beltline and Simonds. Access is restricted to keep people from stealing the native palms that grow there. You can see the slough and the alligators from the road, sometimes. Warning signs are everywhere. 2011 drought nuked the alligator population pretty good. I don't know where they ran off to. I see more river otters now, alligators and otters don't get along so much and an otter will kill an alligator with ease. I have seen alligators as far up White Rock Creek in the Scyene Road area. There were a couple near Top Golf near Moss Park about 10 years ago. Those were most likely dumped pets.

A long time ago, maybe 600 or 1000 years ago, the river once ran further to the east. Some huge flood happened, maybe a log jam built up and the river shifted course to the west where it sits today. That old Ice Age swamp full of palm trees is still there, near the old river channel. The old river ran right through the Beltline/Simonds intersection. When the river comes up during floods, it tries to head east for that old river channel. At some point in the past, the Corps put in a concrete cork there at Goat Island in that old river channel to permanently keep the river from heading that way.
LVS

Postby BigChili » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:01 pm

Took my son and a friend out there this morning.. rode around below the levee by the river... THIS PLACE WILL BE AWESOME!!!!! an absolute bikers playground. So many great features can be molded and shaped to be AWESOME!
BigChili

Postby shadow » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:59 pm

Lots of great interest being shown. I've been contacted by several people....we should be able to place a TS and 1-2 asst TS's at each property. I will be talking to the county people on the 15th...will update eveyone then as to how soon we can start working new trail.
To judge a trail best or worst due to parts of it would be unfair.
shadow

Postby Mandomex1 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:28 am

Where is the trail head? I'd be interested in checking this out sometime!
Mandomex1

Postby Bobby D » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:46 pm

LVS wrote:That would be the Alligator Slough. 6 footers. That is at the intersection of Beltline and Simonds. Access is restricted to keep people from stealing the native palms that grow there. You can see the slough and the alligators from the road, sometimes. Warning signs are everywhere. 2011 drought nuked the alligator population pretty good. I don't know where they ran off to. I see more river otters now, alligators and otters don't get along so much and an otter will kill an alligator with ease. I have seen alligators as far up White Rock Creek in the Scyene Road area. There were a couple near Top Golf near Moss Park about 10 years ago. Those were most likely dumped pets.

A long time ago, maybe 600 or 1000 years ago, the river once ran further to the east. Some huge flood happened, maybe a log jam built up and the river shifted course to the west where it sits today. That old Ice Age swamp full of palm trees is still there, near the old river channel. The old river ran right through the Beltline/Simonds intersection. When the river comes up during floods, it tries to head east for that old river channel. At some point in the past, the Corps put in a concrete cork there at Goat Island in that old river channel to permanently keep the river from heading that way.

GREAT info. Thanks!
out there.
Bobby D

Postby BigChili » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:31 am

Shadow,
How did the talks go - or have you had them yet??
BigChili

Postby chas_martel » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:47 pm

LVS wrote:
There will need to be a come to jesus moment with Mickey's lease ............................

First rule, don't talk about it...................................................
chas_martel

Postby cooljimdog3 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:11 am

Anyone heard anything else on this yet?
ATS: OCNP
cooljimdog3

Postby LVS » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:00 am

LVS

Postby chas_martel » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:02 pm

Where is the trail head? Can it currently be ridden?
chas_martel

Postby gundog94 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:50 am

Too bad they are in Dallas. Everything seems to be in Dallas. I live north of Fort Worth and we have a serious shortage of trails in the area. Maybe someday we will get more up here. :(
gundog94

Postby beechnut » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:37 am

gundog94 wrote:Too bad they are in Dallas. Everything seems to be in Dallas. I live north of Fort Worth and we have a serious shortage of trails in the area. Maybe someday we will get more up here. :(

Our limitation on the West side is manpower. We (FWMBA) have turned down several opportunities to build because we have two active projects that are not finished yet and too few people working on the trails.

Having more trail takes more people picking up McLeods, Pulaskis and Loppers.
beechnut

Postby LVS » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:41 am

chas_martel wrote:Where is the trail head? Can it currently be ridden?

You can park at the current trailhead area for Goat Island off Post Oak Road:

http://goo.gl/maps/ZvmCc

Sort of a remote area. I have ridden down there from Dallas in the past by riding down the river from Downtown Dallas to Simpson Stuart, JJ Lemmon, Millers Ferry Road and Wintergreen. Made it to the Ellis County line. I have done that ride a few times but you really have to stick your neck out on some of the riding to get down there and I would probably not attempt doing the whole enchilada of a ride like that again.
LVS

Postby gundog94 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:47 pm

beechnut wrote:
gundog94 wrote:Too bad they are in Dallas. Everything seems to be in Dallas. I live north of Fort Worth and we have a serious shortage of trails in the area. Maybe someday we will get more up here. :(

Our limitation on the West side is manpower. We (FWMBA) have turned down several opportunities to build because we have two active projects that are not finished yet and too few people working on the trails.

I would be happy to contribute when my busy schedule permits.
gundog94

Postby lastyearsmodel » Wed May 08, 2013 4:39 pm

Isn't there a Fort Worth trail rider club?

I am interested in joining a trail-work day, both in curiosity about this new trail, and in hopes of getting Friends of the Trail for Sister Grove.

lastyearsmodel

Postby lastyearsmodel » Wed May 08, 2013 4:52 pm

I am also interested in joining authorized hog hunting expeditions, regarding the post about feral hogs.
lastyearsmodel

Postby LVS » Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:39 pm

Here is some stuff about a recent trip down to Riverbend and the Lock and Dam # 4 that sits there:

http://dallastrinitytrails.blogspot.com ... ry-of.html

Lots of feral pigs and cool scenery. Found a native american site too.
LVS

Postby crazy Jim » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:50 pm

beechnut wrote:

good luck with that, Dallas is home to the cocain and boob job crowd they cannot be bothered with breaking a sweat
crazy Jim

Postby Bobby D » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:27 pm

crazy Jim wrote:
beechnut wrote:

good luck with that, Dallas is home to the cocain and boob job crowd they cannot be bothered with breaking a sweat
I think he's talking about a shortage of manpower around FW not Dallas.
out there.
Bobby D

Postby crazy Jim » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:51 am

Bobby D wrote:
crazy Jim wrote:
beechnut wrote:

I think he's talking about a shortage of manpower around FW not Dallas.

haha, I was refering to thr whole of DFW
crazy Jim

Postby LVS » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:35 pm

Recent trip to Goat Island on foot including messing around on Lock and Dam number 2:
http://dallastrinitytrails.blogspot.com ... serve.html
LVS

Postby TM75044 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:59 pm

At land lock #4 there are MX trails, or trails. Ridden there many times a few years ago. They go along the river and yes I "think" I can say I say a gator but who knows. I know I say like 6ft long alligator gar in there
TM75044

Next

Return to Trails: trail work, ideas,issues