Home | Trails | Events | Forum | Sponsors | Contact

dingbat pedestrians

Moderator: BOD

dingbat pedestrians

Postby kleiko » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:28 pm

So, I commute a lot on the multi-use trails in Plano, and have been for years.

I give wide, slow passes to children and dogs; no telling where those critters will go.

But, I've found the adult pedestrians are either Dumb Democrats or Repulsive Republicans; they just don't have their heads screwed on. Here are the behaviours that are problematic:

* pedestrian has a headset on and I can hear the music from thirty feet away. No point in singing out 'on your left', so I just pass them on my, to them, ninja bike. Sometimes they gasp; but how can I compete with a blaring headset?
* a group is walking down the path in a group, all across the trail, babbling so loud to each other that I have to holler multiple times that I'm coming up behind them
* pedestrian is travelling in my direction. I line up to pass and I sing out 'on your left', and they move to the left. (This happened once where no matter where I positioned myself, the person was constantly in my path, eventually forcing me to stop. In reply to my English, she babbled in some Far East language.)
* I approach from behind a couple walking side by side, singing out 'on your left', one person moves to the left, and the other to the right. (I'm surprised at the number of hetero couples in which the woman is walking on the inside, rather than on the more protected outside.)
* I'm biking and approaching a single runner from behind. Suddenly the runner turns around and starts running straight at me.

(Given all of the above, not once have I come close to hitting a pedestrian. I guess it's just safer to assume that they are all idiots.)

Then there was the pedestrian on the concrete path at Arbor Hills. It was dusk, and she was jogging in the opposite direction. I said, "there's a copperhead on the sidewalk ahead of you", but she just waved. Seconds later I heard a scream.

Gotta love pedestrians; even when they can hear you they usually don't listen.

It's best just to ride the MUP at night, when my IQ Cyo and LED headlight make it obvious that something is coming...
kleiko

Re: dingbat pedestrians

Postby bergerandfries » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:06 am

Ah yes, agreed with all of your points. The headphones and the jogged doing a quick 180 was the combo that killed Lauren Huddleston in Dallas. That and a cyclist who might have been able to do more to not hit her. That part is debatable. But my lesson to my commuting students is always this: Do not become what you hate in motorists. On the road, you are the vulnerable one and every motorist should always expect you to do something unexpected and give you the benefit. On the MUP, YOU are like the motorist in that you are fast moving, heavier, and safer in a collision with something more vulnerable. It sounds like you have the attitude of "expect the pedestrian to do anything and everything." Maybe a little gentler, more gracious tone rounds that out. I'm not saying you don't have a right to be angry about it; maybe there's a better way to process that anger, is all. After all, even cyclists are pedestrians at some point.
"Well, that gives him a hobby"-Bugs Bunny as Merlin continues to take horse costumes off one after another.
bergerandfries

Re: dingbat pedestrians

Postby KD5NRH » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:14 pm

kleiko wrote:It's best just to ride the MUP at night, when my IQ Cyo and LED headlight make it obvious that something is coming...

You would think, but I had one go full retard a couple nights ago in spite of my headlight having lit up her feet for ~40' already, and my freehub chattering away. She didn't even have headphones on or a smartphone out, just oblivious to her surroundings.

bergerandfries wrote:Ah yes, agreed with all of your points. The headphones and the jogged doing a quick 180 was the combo that killed Lauren Huddleston in Dallas.

The solution there is the same one mommy and daddy taught not too long after first steps; look where you're going. For some reason around puberty, people decide this just doesn't apply when they're on foot anymore. Take a stroll though the grocery store and watch how many people will just start yanking the cart back without checking behind them, or go forward into someone because they're completely focused on the shelves while cruising down the aisle.

It's interesting that in a few martial arts classes I've taken, there was strong emphasis on looking before turning, even in kata work and yet watching videos of some long-time "experts," they often turn to look about the time the first strike in the new direction finishes, rather than before it's committed.
KD5NRH

Return to The Commie Forum